Friday, August 24, 2007

Once Removed

Ada gave me three pots of home made jam to take home. Strawberry, Damson and Mixed Fruit. I’m not sure I like the sound of the Mixed Fruit. Being home-made it has no list of ingredients. There could be anything in there. It could be gooseberry, or apple or, Lord forbid, tomato. Yes, tomatoes are fruit.

Saying that, though, if I knew it was tomato jam I’d be fine with it. It’d go well with cheese or ham or banana. I’m rather partial, if you’ll believe it, to cheese and strawberry jam sandwiches.

I solved my dilemma when I got back to the Manor. I hid the Strawberry and the Damson at the back of the tins cupboard and left the Mixed Fruit by the bread bin. Julie ate it. She said it tasted like socks.

Far better than tasting of witchcraft, if you ask me. Harold has a fetish for socks. Not just any old sock, mind, it has to be on the foot of a pretty girl. You can see him in the library sometimes, staring at ladies’ socks. I’m surprised they don’t throw him out.

So who is this witch that smells of Harold? If it’s not Ada’s daughter, and it can’t be a sister from his father’s side, than it must be a cousin. That would mean that Harold’s Aunt Lydia has surfaced again, and I haven’t seen her since Herbert died. Vanished, rather.

She and Ada were quite close, particularly when Sophia, Ada’s mum passed over. She didn’t die or anything. She went back to Faerie.

Lydia was a constant visitor to the Manor in those days. I think she was protecting Ada and Frederick from the worst aspects of their father. Not that he was abusive to them, it was more a case of neglect. He was so wrapped up in his work that he left them almost entirely to fend for themselves. Hardly fair at the best of times but doubly so when he was filling the house with ghosts and unquiet spirits.

Lydia, then. She of the lavender perfume and the big floppy hats. My next task is to track her down and see if she had any children. If she did, they would be -- Hmm – Harolds aunt or uncle once removed (since they are effectively cousins of a different generation) and a daughter of theirs would be Harold’s second cousin (because they share the same great grandparents).

Changing the subject.

Have you come across e-bay? I pick up all sorts of things from there. Someone was selling a pair of tickets to see The Beatles last week. They were selling them as memorabilia and the pair of unused fourpenny tickets went for almost sixty quid.

I showed it Harold and he was so excited about it I got a purple ticket and bought half a stadiums worth for under forty pounds. I’ll release them over the next few weeks, a pair at a time to keep the demand up. There! I’ve effectively ended the speculation why the stadium was half empty for their concert on 3rd July 1968.

It was only later that I found out Harold was the highest bidder.

Later. X

No comments: