Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Bookshop Holiday Tuesday


Ah, well! I was disappointed! Yesterday turned out to be beautiful after all – warm with unrepentant sunshine. Mrs. Baxter’s sheets dried in record time and the Royal Park was packed with delighted picnickers.

The bees seem to have made a comeback. I recall remarking at their scarcity earlier in the year but yesterday brought them out in droves to feast on lavender and montbretia. I’ve heard tell of this latest strain of African bees that are potential killers but fortunately not up our way yet. It’s a relief, because I’m rather fond of honey on my toast in the morning.

Harold took an extra day off to get his tractor mower out. Assuming the weather holds for this afternoon we’ll be having races in the manor. The back and side lawns are the same size in area (though one is long and thin, the other wide and square) and we shall race each other to mow them. Fastest time isn’t everything, as Julie will judge which lawn was most neatly managed. Afterward we do the avenue together, he on one side of the drive and I on the other and we’ll race each other to cut around the beech trees. It’s relatively rare, these races – normally we make the imps cut the grass with nail scissors.

Another thing I was wrong about yesterday – and I’m pleased about it – is that they replaced the ‘e’ in the White Art sign. Sometimes keeping with tradition is the right thing to do. Someone ought to mention that to the owner of the Olden Plaice chippy.

5 comments:

aims said...

Ahh Jasfoup. Showing a bit of - shall I say - 'humanity' here? Looking forward to mowing races....although odd that - still sounds like fun!

So what is missing then - a 'G'?

Leatherdykeuk said...

Winning mower races crushes Harold's spirit -- always a good thing.

A G indeed - I've talked about the Golden Plaice before.

Olga/Maddie said...

You know the end of this particular blog entry reminds me of a business sign here in Hinton.

It's a place to do with metals and what not. And a part of the sign is spelt 'metalic'.

Everytime I see that sign, I cringe because I know it's supposed to be spelt as 'metallic'.

And if I'm ever inside the business, I will let them know about this.

Hope that you and yours are doing all right, that things are going okay, and that today goes all right for you all.

Hugs, lovies, and stuffs for you all. *HG*

God bless and take care. :).
Olga/Maddie

Leatherdykeuk said...

Perhaps it's deliberate, Olga, to catch the attention?

Olga/Maddie said...

That is a thought, Rachel.

And perhaps it is so.

But from what I seen of the mentality of some of the people around here, I would be more likely to doubt it. :(.

Hugs, lovies, and stuffs for you all. *HG*

God bless and take care. :).
Olga/Maddie