Saturday, September 20, 2008

Gargoyle Revisited


Funny, Edith (that was the extorting stallholder) ended up coming with me to the pictures. I treated her to popcorn and sweets, but was a bit disturbed by her lighting a cigarette while we watched. It’s not that I can contract lung cancer or anything (though a quick look inside Edith showed it was only a matter of time) but it did mean that the screen was lost in a haze of smoke and the scent clung to my suit. She also had a terrible case of wandering hands – I’d just be enjoying a particularly emotional bit – Damien receiving his first Hell Hound for example – and her hand would creep across my serge.

I’m really not that kind of man*

After the film, she went back to her mini van and I had a bite to eat at Bernard’s. I did make sure that my present-time self wasn’t there first and after explaining the situation he gave me a private booth.

When darkness fell** I went back to St. Marples’. No fence this time, nor graffiti (apart from a ‘Bay City Rollers forever’ slogan***) though the doors were locked. Not so the tower, and it was an easy matter to fly up and enter from that direction.

The gargoyle was waiting for me, claws at the ready.

“Oh, Hai,” I said, expecting the speech pattern it had last time I met it.

“Should I know you?” At lease this time it recognized a demon when it saw one. That was an improvement.

“Not yet,” I said. “Though we do meet twenty years hence.”

It lowered its claws and spat.

“Pfft.” It said. “I always said time wasn’t linear.”






*Though I did promise to meet her again later that evening.

**An inapt expression – rather it crept gradually until it completely swamped, in much the same way as the interest on a debt.

***The culprit is now in Hell, enjoying his favourite band 24/7 forever.***

****which is a surprisingly long time.

6 comments:

Olga/Maddie said...

I love the graphic image that you chose for this particular entry. *big smile*

Though, I think the footnote for '***' was missed?

Hope that helps.

Hope that you and yours are doing all right, that things are going okay, and that the rest of the day goes all right for you all.

Hugs, lovies, and stuffs for you all. *HG*

God bless and take care. :).
Olga/Maddie

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thanks Olga - amended.

Olga/Maddie said...

You're welcome.

Hugs, lovies, and stuffs for you all. *HG*

God bless and take care. :).
Olga/Maddie

aims said...

I thought you went to see Heaven Can Wait?

Ah well - Damien - the little devil! In fact - the little SCARY devil! Scared the hell out of me anyway.

Good footnotes - going back to visit (what's her name) later?

aims said...

Wait! Another question.

If EDITH (had to look again - sorry) has lung cancer - do you bother to collect early in a case like that - or do you just bide your time?

Leatherdykeuk said...

Aims, I have all the time in the world ;)

We did see Heaven can wait. It was still light then, so we saw Damien as well.