Tuesday, September 9, 2008

You're so sharp...


What do an inane grin, an oily cloth and a rusty saber have in common?

They all belonged to Harold when I got into the office this morning. I saw him as soon as I came through the door – not difficult when he’s sat at the kitchen table surrounded by books on militaria and old newspapers. Admittedly the sword and the oily cloth were actually being wielded by Devious and Delirious,* but still.

“Look Jasfoup,” Harold said, putting down his mug of tea. “I’ve found this very sword in Jane’s Big Book of Fabled Weapons 1800 – 1952. It’s the semi-legendary Blade of the Holy.” He held up the relevant page.

“What does that mean, exactly,” I asked. “Does it get plus-three versus the undead?”

“What?” Harold looked confused. It’s odd, because he’s one of the most bookish mortals I’ve ever met and yet he’s never played Dungeons and Dragons.

“Never mind,” I said. “What’s special about it?”

“It says here it was held by the High Priest of the Order of Twilight until it vanished in 1912. Don’t you see? That’s when my grandmother inherited the Manor.”

“So?” I took a mug from the draining board. “She had her own sword, the one in the glass case at the manor. Why would she have taken it?”

“I don’t think she took it,” said Harold. “I think someone else took it and she got it back later on.”

“From whom?” I snorted. “Really, Harold, conspiracy theories? That’s certifiable paranoia.”

“What else could this mark mean?” Harold brushed his fingers across the blade and pointed to a sigil in Elvish. “See?”

He pulled back his finger, sucking at the cut.**



*Devious was holding the guard while his son rubbed the blade vigorously with the oily rag. He was getting a good shine on it but I swear the whole set-up was an accident waiting to happen.**

**see?


Sheet Music Image "The Oily Rag" from www.teacherontap.com

5 comments:

aims said...

Ahh! Now Jasfoup - you've got me wondering a couple of things. Do you know of the knowledge your own chronicler has of swords?

And - does it just leap from your mind - to the chronicler - to the page? Or do you have to go back once in a while and put some things in.

Today's **'s just cracked me up!

Leatherdykeuk said...

(1) She knows virtually nothing compared to me ;)
(2) Sometimes I have to punish her and add bits.

(3) like an egg?

Josephine Damian said...

Rachel: You are my first follower! Had no idea this was a new blogger feature until you started to follow me. One of these days I'll figure out how blogger works lol.

Leatherdykeuk said...

*chuckles*
It was DK_leather who put me onto this following lark. I rather like it.

Olga/Maddie said...

Yes, Harold was the accident waiting to happen.

Sigh!

Hugs, lovies, and stuffs for you all. *HG*

God bless and take care. :).
Olga/Maddie