Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Gentleman's Club


I could have gone to a gentleman’s club – I have memberships in seventeen of them dating back to 1730. Though most memberships lapse after sixty years, that particular one – the Medici Society in Florence – has several members that are Denizens and thus not subject to the vagaries of mortal life. Three of those Denizens are members of the Eternal Committee though I’m not one of them – Hell are already well represented by Lord Azazel and it is highly unlikely that he will ever withdraw his membership.

Laverstone has three private member’s clubs, two of which support the inclusion of Denizens. I don’t count the Tattered Moon in with those three – a bar is hardly the place for privacy. I stayed instead at the Colder Club on Cheapwell Street. The name is a degeneration of its founder, the same Lord Caulder that built St. Marples in 1859. If only he knew that it would become a haven for those very creatures he sought redemption from.

Not that a demon needs sleep. I just wanted to avoid the use of places I was known by mortals. I was a bit of a gigolo in those days, and it would have been disastrous to meet myself in the company of a woman.*

The benefit of the Colder club is their extensive archives of the town. I pored through newspapers all night, some of them dating back to the 1500s.


*or a man for that matter. I’m not choosy about gender or race.**
**though I draw the line at Mimes and Pierrots.

4 comments:

aims said...

Newspapers from the 1500's. What are you looking for Jasfoup? Hmmmm.......

Leatherdykeuk said...

Freeholds...

Fiona said...

Is Ebaul all right? Worried about him.

Loved your story in Jo's workout place. Totally disagree with her.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Ebul will survive -- he turns up in 2007 causing all sorts of trouble!

Kali's a recurring character on here - Jo wasn't to know that, she's only read a 2K story of mine before.