Saturday, November 22, 2008

Chubby Fingered Elegance.


Seeing Lucy as a tiny baby reminds me Harold at that age. He was three days old when Ada brought him home from the hospital on Christmas Eve. It might have been the happiest day of her life had she not walked into a cold, empty house with just a note from Harold’s father to indicate anyone else had ever been there. And a small crate full of assorted jewels, but there’s no comfort in that, is there?

I turned up the next day, a gift, if you like, from Harold’s dad to help look after the new baby. I resented it at first – I’d been a constant companion to the incredibly nice Sophia Waterman for sixty years and felt I deserved a bit of a rest. Truth be told, I was glad to be back in the mortal world – things are so much more fun here. Ada wasn’t a bad taskmaster anyway, and it gave me a chance to subtly teach the boy about being an elegant magician.

It worked too. Harold doesn’t perform much magic but what he does is done with the finesse of the best card dealer. I wonder if Lucy will turn out the same?

7 comments:

aims said...

Jasfoup as a kind of Christmas present. Now why haven't I received anything like that? I guess the question is - would I want that kind of present.

Harold on the other hand. Hard to say with that guy. Does he enjoy your presence Jasfoup - or tolerate it. Hmmmmmm.......

Leatherdykeuk said...

Not a Christmas present - that would be crass - but as a "I'm-sorry-I'm-leaviving-you-to-raise-this-child-alone" gift.

Harold loves me. Utterly. Everyone does.

martha said...

I occasionally wonder how Jasfoup would feel about sharing an abode with me - given my strong commitment to the opposition.

Stinking Billy said...

jasfoup, I have just come upstairs after watching Merlin, as usual, so I am the last person to pooh-pooh talk of magic. I am curious about your age, however, or is that a secret set in stone?

Leatherdykeuk said...

Martha - I always love a good argument, and as lond as you replaced the cap on the toothpaste I'm sure we'd get along famously.

Just out of curiosity, though, are you allowed to read my diary? or is it a case of 'know thine enemy?'


Billy: Not at all, dear chap. I'm not as old as that. I was born in 1496 but didn't come 'upstairs' until 1532.

stephanie said...

I'm sure Lucy will surpass all our wildest fantasies.

Leatherdykeuk said...

We'll see. I have only the vaguest notion so far.