Sunday, November 23, 2008

Iced Paws


I remember something Frederick used to say (when he was alive). He used to say: “Is it only five years?”

The unknowing sucker would then ask him ‘what?” to which he’d reply “Five years ago,” whatever the date was. It was a stupid joke but it always made everyone laugh. It had the added effect of people thinking Frederick was a bit loopy as well, but I’ve never managed to work out if that was a good or a bad thing.

However, Sunday morning rolls round again, and today was a bit odd in that the rain had frozen as it hit the ground, leaving a sheen of ice upon everything reminiscent of an impasto painting. The cats weren’t very happy about it, lifting their paws as high as possible and leaping from melted patch to patio for their breakfast.

Outdoor cats
find ice distasteful
on sleep-warm paws.

We’re going to church today to show off Lucy to the world and encourage people to think she’s baptised. I shan’t go in (though I could, so long as I intend no harm) but Harold and Julie will, Felicia has elected to stay with me in the courtyard* since the incense gives her a headache.

Reverend Mackenzie
gives us all headaches
but Earl Grey doesn’t.


* tearooms really, but don’t tell Harold that.

6 comments:

Stinking Billy said...

hey, rachel, I like your little (indented) verses. I've employed the same method myself, but usually borrowing from Rabbie Burns or the like.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Illustrating a text with haiku makes the post into a haibun.

Glad you like it, Billy :)

Would that be Robbie Burns or Rabbi Burns?

aims said...

Funny how time passes sometimes - isn't it Jasfoup?

'I remember when' or 'seems like only yesterday'.

Funny how those lines come out more as we get older. I remember when....I remember when I couldn't wait to get older. In that I'm not unusual. Now that I am - I'm not unusual either. I wish the clock would slow down.

Melancholy days......

Leatherdykeuk said...

Indeed so - but my 11 year old is desperate to be 18

stephanie said...

Excellent haiku, and how lovely to see J's perspective on the church going. If only he knew where the morning was headed...

Leatherdykeuk said...

He'll be horrified!