Monday, November 24, 2008

Old Time


Alas I have made an error. It was pointed out to me yesterday and I make no exceptions for honesty when it comes to lying. I told someone I was “born in 1496 but didn't come 'upstairs' until 1532.”

That was in old time and wasn’t true.

Thanks to the switch from Gregorian Calander to Julian I was actually born in 1375, the nephilim son of a demon (one of the Third, my mother said, since she swore it was an angel) and a mostly mortal woman. Thanks to my genetics I was, like Cain, a walking baby, maturing in months instead of a normal mortals span of years. This attracted some attention and my mother was tortured and burned as a witch in 1376 when I was eighteen months old (and fully grown, if not actually mature.)

I was apprenticed to a demon that year and didn’t come ‘upstairs’ to the mortal lands until 1512, where I was still a young demon with a trade in soul collecting. I was apprenticed to a jobbing painter as a cover for my work. I learned to fence in 1514, very quickly. There’s nothing to focus a brain like the tip of a blade up the nostril.

It does appear, then, that by modern reckoning I’m older than I thought. Sorry about that.

I’ve still got my own teeth, too.

Hundreds of them.

In jars.

8 comments:

aims said...

Well Jasfoup. You've put into words exactly how I feel. I AM older than I think.

I keep thinking I'm 22.

And a dentist - with all good intentions took a wisdom tooth. I rebelled the next time because I felt I was losing something more than a tooth. I mean - if I keep thinking I'm 22 - surely my brains and my wisdom teeth are linked aren't they?

Leatherdykeuk said...

aims, I still feel I'm 19 -- and I'm 45 now.

stephanie said...

Well, I'm quite glad to have that sorted, though I do feel a bit for the mother. She can't really be blamed.

In her case, what is "mostly mortal" anyway?

Stinking Billy said...

jasfoup, I unintentionally opened up a can of worms, there, alright. But I did notice you getting one back about teeth. Now, how about hearing-aids? Or, don't demons need to bother with such worldly things - hey, and reading glasses?

Leatherdykeuk said...

*chuckles*
I haven't needed them yet, Billy, but I have seen some demons using such things. They cover it us by pretending to only speak the Tongue of the Abyss.

There is a move for the Abolition of Print Too Small to See, too.

Leatherdykeuk said...

She was descended from nephilim; a witch.

Cynthia said...

AMAZING write!

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thank you Cynthia.

A poem
every day
until January?
Why not September,
when big J was born?