Thursday, November 6, 2008

Purple

Have you ever noticed that purple is for the young?

I saw a woman this morning (I was busy tempting some office workers to finish the cream cakes from the birthday party on the floor below) when I noticed a lady of indeterminate age wandering across the market square. She was, as you may have guessed, wearing a purple hat and scarf and, in direct contravention of social mores, was smiling and saying hello to people as they walked by.

How utterly enlightening.

She made a positive difference to the lives of every person she saw. Almost all of them smiled back, looked up, saw a tiny piece of beauty.

Someone needs to stop her.

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other peoples' gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickles for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

by Jenny Joseph

12 comments:

Annie Wicking said...

Oh no, if purple is only for the young then why have I just had my bedroom painted that colour...lol

I thought it was the colour for creative minds ;-)

best wishes,
Annie

Leatherdykeuk said...

Purple is for everyone
(just don't tell Jasfoup!)

stephanie said...

Some people have real audacity.

(purple=my favourite colour)

Leatherdykeuk said...

I have new purple scarf and gloves ;)

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love purple, red and burgundy, always with a good amount of goth black too

Leatherdykeuk said...

Black and purple - My kind of girl :)

spacedlaw said...

He's seen the later me!
I do want to become a batty old lady and I know that practice makes perfect...

Leatherdykeuk said...

You're never too young to start ;)

Juliette M said...

I love purple and that poem. So does my mother who is in her 60s.

Jasfoup would look wonderful in a midnight purple shot silk suit, I fear.

With a charcoal-grey lining.

And lots of pockets to keep... um... "interesting stuff".

I shouldn't start thinking about this kind of thing...

ChrisH said...

Eek! I am wearing a purple tee-shirt today. Look away, Jasfoup!

aims said...

Everything today put a little smile on my face. Your post - and the comments.

Wonderful.

I think I'll go eat something purple and stain my teeth that colour and go out and smile at everyone.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Everyone should wear purple :)

Juliette: I love that suit!