Sunday, December 7, 2008

Noro cash Iroha

I saw Harold practicing a new sword kata yesterday. He does this to free his mind of problems and it has the double benefit of improving his swordsmanship and getting him a bit of exercise.*

I watched him for several long minutes*** as he went through the sixty-odd movements. One of them involved moving the sword horizontally across the body at rib level, as if defending a vertical strike, and then moving the blade left and right. in a pivoting action.

I asked him about it when he’d finished.

“It a new kata,” he said. “I was sent it by e-mail but it was in Japanese so I figured it out from the pictures.”

“What’s it called?” I asked.

“Noro cash Iroha,” said Harold

Honestly, I couldn’t help laughing. You would too, in the circumstanced.

“What’s so funny?” he said

“Knitting,” I replied. “You’ve been looking at a knitting pattern. cash Iroha is the name of a luxury blend of cashmere and silk twine, made by Nora Industries. Those odd horizontal strikes are you knitting with a three foot blade.”




*Not that he really needs it – he’s come a long way from the pudgy, unfit shopkeeper I first met. Now he’s really got some six-pack action going on. **

**and the body odour has improved, too.

*** time dilates when you’re bored. You must have noticed.

4 comments:

stephanie said...

Oops. Harold really must have felt a fool that time.

Leatherdykeuk said...

He'll have bluffed through it.

NAVAL LANGA said...

To Ms. Rachel Green

I have read your two recent posts. You write with simplicity of the words, but the same words radiates energy. It's a good read

I write short stories involving Indian men and women. India owns a rainbow like cultural spectrum. My short stories evolves from the messy engagements of personal and social relations and from the contemporary conditions, which shape them.

I would love to read more on your site.
Keep visiting.

Naval Langa

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thank you, kind sir :)