Friday, December 19, 2008

seasonal decor


Who’s up for another post about seasonal decorations? Three of you? Super.


I was strolling down Cherry Tree Road this morning, on my way to get some money out of the bank* and wincing at the particularly vulgar displays of seasonal festivities, global warming and light pollution**. Kali’s house was all shut up for the season – she’s back in India for ten weeks – but the one next door to hers was delightful.

A neatly clipped hedge, white gravel drive, all the dead leaves raked up and a beautifully trim lawn and conifer borders only confirmed what the light display told me: An old man with no children or grandchildren lived there.

I formed this hypothesis from his Christmas lights. No icicles, no flashing strobes or ropes of chaser lights. His was a simple line of full sized orange bulbs strung around a conifer. They were the sort of light that you used to see at fairgrounds, with thick rubber cables running from them. I was almost tempted to knock on his door and hive him half of my money in a random act of kindness.

I didn’t, but I did instruct Devious to steal his hat and hang it, forlorn and forgotten, from the old chap’s television aerial.






*Not that the bank would condone my withdrawal of £5,000 in cash from their safety deposit box but what’s the good of being a demon if you abide by the rules? On the other hand, please accept my apologies for the 3.4p increase in bank charges. 0.4 pence of that was due to me; 0.6 was due to inflation and 2.4 was to cover the Board’s self-awarded increase in salary.

**I must find a ‘lights of the earth’ satellite view site – I bet they’re atrocious at this time of year.

6 comments:

stephanie said...

Jasfoup - in a festive mood this day, eh? ;)

Leatherdykeuk said...

He was with me on my walk this morning!

Captain Black said...

Random question: How do you pronounce Jasfoup?

Leatherdykeuk said...

heh!
Jas as in class and foup as in loop

Stinking Billy said...

jasfoup, thank you for having a high regard for old men but, unfortunately, we aren't *all* handymen.

Leatherdykeuk said...

*smiles*
I'm sure you could make festive chains - perhaps with computer CDs *grins*