Thursday, December 4, 2008

Walking in the Rain


We had a coffee in the Royal Park tea rooms today. Felicia had coffee and I had tea, of course. I tried a licorice tea at first but decided it was truly disgusting and ordered an English Breakfast immediately afterward.

On the way out I happened to spy two men arguing through a window. Both were on the same side of a desk, facing across it. “I bet there’s a woman telling them off,” I said, and sure enough, as the angle of my position relative to the window changed, I saw I was right. She stared at me for a moment, astounded by the audacity of someone looking in but I smiled at her and forced her to smile back. She couldn’t help it. My actions have enabled her to have a day a tiny bit better than it might have been. Try it. Smile at a stranger.*

The big freeze came and went, though it was so early in the winter I dread what January and February will bring. The woods were almost silent as we walked through but it had started to rain by the time we got to the park. Felicia got wet through.

Me? I stayed dry. Rain doesn’t dare wet a demon of my rank.




*Unless you’re a woman on your own and the stranger is a creepy looking bloke. Or a creepy looking woman. Or a normal looking bloke with an axe.**

**Or a child. Never, ever smile at a child you don’t know.

2 comments:

stephanie said...

*chuckles* Excellent advice, as always. ;)

Leatherdykeuk said...

Thank you