Sunday, January 4, 2009

Donations to Door Funds


There was a policeman at St. Pity’s when we went for a walk today. The church had been the victim of a broad-daylight burglary yesterday while a wedding had actually been taking place. It was an odd thing to have stolen – just the door to the vestry and several of the old gravestones (ones that had been removed from the graveyard and stacked four-deep against the wall – Father Williams was unable to even guess at the names of those missing).

I expressed my concern and pressed my card into his hand. “If there’s anything we can do,” I said. “I know Harold would want to help as a benefactor of the church.”* I withdrew my wallet. “Here’s £100 toward a replacement. How much would it cost, do you think?”

“Er… Three or four hundred?” Father Williams had only been in Laverstone for a year or so and was unaware of Harold’s general attitude of anti-altruism. I doubt he’d be one to lose at Monopoly – he’s the sort to have a ‘Divine Intervention’ rule.

“Well, with my donation to start with you should be able to rustle the rest up from your Sermon at today’s service,” I said. He nodded, appearing distracted. It can’t be easy for a man of the cloth to talk to a demon, even if he didn’t know I was one. His eyes were watering.

Felicia was impatient to go. “Good luck to you,” I said, getting up. “Let me know if I can be of further help. I’m sure someone in your church will be able to think of a godd carpenter.”




*He is, too. One of the stained glass windows was bought by him and portrays Jesus going into a very familiar bookshop.

7 comments:

Stinking Billy said...

jasfoup, the number of times you have me scrolling up and down looking for your asterisks! It doesn't help when a single one is jammed up against a pair of quotation marks, either. And, while I'm on, shouldn't that have been 'good' carpenter? Although, maybe not? Happy New Year ;-)

Leatherdykeuk said...

Sorry, Billy. I'll try to make the footnote points more obvious.

Good spot on the typo!

Leon Basin said...

Hey, how are you doing?

Leatherdykeuk said...

I hope that was with a New York accent *smiles*

I think you have the wrong demon... perhaps you were looking for War...?

Leon Basin said...

Hey, how are you doing?

stephanie said...

I'll assume no visits in the near future to the manor? *winks*

Good thing Jasfoup doesn't go in for guilt.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Not from the clergy, at any rate!