Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Plastic Faith


That’s the end of the first week of 2009. How are you all getting on? Did you make any New Year resolutions? Have you started them? Have you given then up?

I wouldn’t worry too much. The only person you disappoint is yourself (and possibly your partner, if he thinks you’re too fat to be remotely desirable any more). People used to say the road to Hell was paved with good intentions* but in reality it’s paved in stone slabs laid in a pleasing herringbone pattern**.

I made no resolutions. Either I’ll be the best person I can be, or I won’t. Writing it down on a piece of paper won’t change the outcome.

It tried to snow today. The rain became gradually colder and turned to snow. Normally it hisses and evaporates before it touches me but Felicia had a good time trying to catch snowflakes on her tongue***. When we passed St. Pity’s (which was shut) I happened to see several flakes caught between the paving stones. I took out a pair of tweezers**** and teased them up, deliberately lowering the temperature of my hand to examine them.

Every one of them was identical – each portrayed the standard westernised image of Iesu. Fascinating. It would be proclaimed a miracle if not for the writing on the reverse: “Snow is the Seed of God, Falling on the Righteous. Give thanks at your local Catholic church.”

Eww.

I dropped those plastic snowflakes PDQ



* or possibly a million platitudes, but you’re such a good boy you wouldn’t know.

**Except for the bit that paved with gold ingots. When you tunnel through the earth’s crust you come across a lot of gold. Eventually you get bored with it and use it in construction work.

***This was in her human form, not her lupine one.

****Doesn’t everybody carry a pair in their breast pocket?

6 comments:

Chanel said...

Yeah im not grand on the resolution concept either. It's like intentionally setting myself up for failure. Who needs that? But this year does feel a little different to me so far. As if i've hit the ground running in 09. I'm rather proud of myself :-)

Leatherdykeuk said...

Good for you Chanel :)

BT said...

No, I managed to avoid the 'resolution' trap too. I just accept the failures. No need to rub it in. And what's this about Granny's lavender bags????? What's wrong with them??? LOL.
xxx

Leatherdykeuk said...

*laughs*
Nothing at all, actually, so long as i don't smell them. The darned things give me nightmares, since there were so many at my father's house.

stephanie said...

*sighs* Plastic snowflakes. Feels like an analogy for the entire world these days.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Alas, I think you're right