Monday, April 12, 2010

No Place Like Home

I spent the night at home rather than at the manor. There really is no place like home, though a cottage overlooking the hypocrites as they trudge in circles with the weight of their lead-lined cloaks holding them back. I threw them a few handfuls of caltrops, just to keep them on their toes.

The reason for this is the end-of-month reports. The popular press thinks being a demon is all about fun and frivolity and tricking people into giving up their souls. What they don't see is all the paperwork. I have to fill out a A439 in triplicate for every soul assigned to me in a month, cross reference it with the official records in Dis, and write on where Janus has assigned them to spend eternity. All mare more difficult because the filing clerks in Dis are three months behind and the piles of intake forms are not even in date order. I think it's some minor devil's job to mix tem all up every hour.

So that was seventeen hours of paperwork, followed by an hour's nap in the deckchair until it started to rain blood. After that I checked my collection of hearts in jars and watered the plants. Mt red hot pokers in the garden are doing very well, I'm happy to report, though at this time of year they're barely warm to the touch.

4 comments:

aims said...

Arrghhhh! Paperwork (and taxes) is the devil's job!

Leatherdykeuk said...

Alas, sometimes it is.

stephanie said...

*chuckles* @ Aims.

Jasfoup I do not pity. ;)

Leatherdykeuk said...

Indeed! Accountants are so exensive!