Monday, April 5, 2010

Safe and Sound

We all followed Gillian as she went upstairs to check on Lucy. Molly was there watching over her (watching a baby sleep is, apparently, more interesting than dusting the east wing) but bobbed a curtsey as we entered and left through the wall.

Lucy was fast asleep, as normal as normal could be. There were no flying plates or other poltergeist activity. No undead lurking over her crib (other than her mother) and no trace of dragons flying about the place, illusional or otherwise. Gillian was at least mollified that her daughter hadn't sprouted spines and horns overday.

We tiptoed out again and went back downstairs.

"See?" said Harold. "No harm done."

"Not for lack of opportunity," she said. She turned to me. "What happened to the demon, anyway? You said it had possessed Harold."

"I drove it out with a little applied magic," I said. "Now it's safely bottled up."

"And where did you put the bottle?"

"Er..." I grimaced. "It's about here somewhere, I'm certain. It was an a banana milk shake bottle."

"Coffee, I thought," said Harold. "I'm pretty sure you used the Coffee milk shake bottle. I remember thinking it appropriate, since coffee is the work of the devil, to put a devil inside it. Though now I come to think of it, I may have thought the same of the banana."

I smiled at Gillian. "Either way," I said, "the demon's safely locked away."

3 comments:

aims said...

Ummmm - You should know better than anyone Jasfoup that you shouldn't say those kind of things with Harold around.

Such foreshadowing!

Leatherdykeuk said...

*coughs* Foreshadowing? Me?

stephanie said...

Oh dear.