Friday, May 14, 2010

Dead Rite chapter 4.02

Jasfoup pulled out his PDA, a rather handsome Bloodberry though not the latest model. He copied some numbers from it onto the side of the fridge. "That'll go right through you, you know."

"No, I like it. Always have." Amanda fumbled a glass from the draining board and filled it with juice. She drank it in two or three gulps.

Jasfoup raised one eyebrow. "Don't say I didn't warn you." He returned to studying his PDA, tapping with a little wooden phone dongle that looked suspiciously like a human on a stake. "I hope you've been doing you Kegel exercises."

"My what? Oh!" A bright red stain spread from Amanda's groin, dripping like blood to the floor. "Shit!"

"Let's hope not." Jasfoup gestured with his Bloodberry. "I told you your stomach didn't work any more and if you're going to survive this for more than a few minutes you'll have to take control of all the muscle groups, including the ones you used not to think about. How's your heartbeat?"

"Fine – Wait, I don't have one."

"See? If you don't want to lapse into brainlessness you're going to have to remember all this. Breathe, pump blood, deliver oxygen. It's not easy being a mortal you know."

"I hate this." Amanda lurched toward the sink for a cloth to wipe up the cranberry juice. At least, she hoped it was just juice on the floor. "Can you help me? I have to go and change my clothes."

"No chance," Jasfoup had returned to his task. "You're the one who wants to pretend she's not a zombie. Go on: keep pumping blood or you're going to lose all your higher brain functions."

4 comments:

stephanie said...

I know he's helping her, but I feel rather bad for her just the same.

Leatherdykeuk said...

I fear it's a losing battle.

martha said...

You're the writer - the Deus ex machina - she doesn't have to.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Martha -- All my stories have an internal logic -- I never use a deus ex machina!