Friday, May 28, 2010

Dead Rite chapter 7.03

She led Legion to the shop door but the mother of demons hung back. "There is magic here." She paused, wide-eyed, on the pavement. "Elementals. What are you trying to do? Trick me?"

"Don't be silly." Ada took hold of her upper arm and all but frogmarched her into the shop. Had it occurred to her what might happen b forcibly dragging a demon by the arm she might not have been so bold but as it was, the shock of Ada's audacity subdued Legion into meekness. "This is my son's shop. If anyone can help you find your kiddies it's him."

"I smell the spoor of demons here." Legion stepped forward, her hands reaching out to touch the display cabinets housing rare books and literary curios. "And angels."

Ada snorted. "I certainly hope there's been no spoor left on the premises. I shall have something to say if there has been." She looked down at the carpet. "I don't want to step in anything I shouldn't." She stepped forward to the desk and pressed the service bell. "Anybody in? Or shall I just make off with the till?"

"There is an imp watching us." Legion pointed to the top of a large bookcase. "A very minor minion of the Sundered lands. Should I dispose of it?"

"I'd rather you didn't." Ada put a hand on Legion's wrist and applied just enough pressure to lower her arm. "That's Delirious. He works for my son."

2 comments:

stephanie said...

"And Angels." Beautiful.

I like the chemistry between the two of them quite a lot.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Yes. It surprised me.
Thank you.