Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dead Rite chapter 8.03

Amanda clutched at his arm. "What did he do to her?"

"Possessed her. He's a collection of spirits, like Legion in the bible."

"Legion?" Amanda shook her head, though not too vigorously in case it fell off. "I don't follow."

"Tch!" The demon gave a snort of exasperation. "What do they teach young people in schools these days. Did you never read the gospels?"

Amanda shrugged. "Why should I? Any relevance has been distilled into the statutes of law and constitutes a method of applying due diligence. Anything left over is hearsay and mumbo-jumbo, the deluded ravings of a church desperate to keep order in a rapidly developing society."

Jasfoup narrowed his eyes. "Boy but do you have some lessons coming. That was a direct quotation from Cantor's 'Introduction to Law vs Religion", wasn't it? What exactly do you think I am?"

"You're a construct of my imagination as I work through some unexpected consequences of transcendent reality."

"You think you're dreaming all this?" Jasfoup shook his head sadly. "Dream on, girly."

"Not dreaming, as such." Amanda lifted up her hand and stared at the grey skin. with a grimace. "I've come to terms with the concept of death, I just didn't realise I'd still be here afterwards."

"Aha! Where did you think you'd be?"

She shrugged. "Nowhere. Nothingness. The ultimate sleep and a slide into oblivion."

"Ah, I see. No trace of religion in that rotten meatball of yours, then? No desire to visit the underworld of Greek mythology, or Roman, of Saxon?"

"Not really. Are there such things?"

"Why ask me? You think I'm a construct of your fractured personality."

"Well, aren't you?"

"Of course I am." Jasfoup extracted his flaming sword from his pocket, raising it vertically until the tip grazed the ceiling. "Best I fulfil my role as a subconscious enabler and propel you to the oblivion you were expecting then."

No comments: