Monday, June 7, 2010

Dead Rite chapter 8.05

"We're not talking about the law." Jasfoup's blade snicked to within an inch of her chin, the flames picking out her features in a most attractive manner. Of course, setting fire to a zombie was always attractive. "Since when has the law dealt with possession by a spirit? The duty of a demon to assist a soul to its final destination? The place in mortal society of immortal beings?"

"I don't know." Amanda glanced down at the sword point. "The Fraudulent Mediums Act 1951?"

"No. My point is the mortal world is unaware and unequipped to deal with the supernatural, hence the existence of people like me. I don't just collect souls and send them on their way to Hell. I also patrol the borders of the natural and supernatural worlds and keep them separated. You, dear lady, have just crossed a line."

"Then chop off my head if it's so important to you." Amanda bared her neck. "I've only been a zombie for a couple of hours and I already wish I was dead. If shooting me in the head sends me to a better place then I for one am all for it."

Jasfoup hesitated for almost a second before lowering his sword. "I need to know what animated you first." He put the sword away and looked out of the window. The man at the bus stop had gone.

Amanda stepped closer. "So what will you do?"

Jasfoup looked at her, using his thumb to wipe away a stray piece of vomit stuck to her chin. "I'll follow the lore"

3 comments:

martha said...

What I want to know is: when is he going to take her home to meet Ada?

Leatherdykeuk said...

It's in the outline.
So far only an hour of time has passed since the opening of the novel

martha said...

That should be an interesting evening. Who'll do the cooking?