Friday, June 11, 2010

Dead Rite chapter 8.09

"Give me a minute." Jasfoup pressed the 'silence' button on his phone and returned to the living room where the dead girl was trying to brush her hair. "Amanda? Could I have another look at the cutting on your chest?"

"You just want to see my breasts." She looked at him by means of the mirror, her hand holding the brush in constant motion. "I know your sort."

"Not at all." He stood behind her, where his height advantage gave him a perfect view of the sigils' reflection. "I'm more of a one-woman demon, that's all. Faithful in faithlessness and all that." The cutting hadn't even begun to heal it was so recent. The only reason it had stopped bleeding was because she'd forgotten to keep her heart pumping again.

"What does that even mean? You're making no sense at all"

He returned to the kitchen. "Winston? Are you still there?"

"For all the good I can do."

"Will you look further into this for me? There's a demon outside her flat and I think it must be connected."

"Think?" Winston laughed. "If you say so. Look, I'll do what I can but I'm not promising anything. This is some old, old shit you've got yourself into."

"I know. Older than I thought, too. That verve looks Aramaic to me." Jasfoup looked up at the ringing of the doorbell. "I have to go." He closed the connection and headed back to the living room. "Don't answer that," he began but it was too late.

At the door stood the man from the bus stop, his hand cupping Amanda's face. Both turned to him.

"You're too late." The man smiled as a silvery-black eel slid from his forearm into Amanda's open mouth. She half-gasped.

There was nothing Jasfoup could do but watch as the spirit of Amanda was forced out of her own body. "What just happened?" she said.

"You've been dispossessed," said the man. He gestured to Jasfoup. "This fellow will show you where to go. Good day."

4 comments:

aims said...

Ahhhhhh! Dammit!

Leatherdykeuk said...

heh! Sorry!

stephanie said...

Oh, dear. So, Amanda's spirit tags along, but she doesn't have to worry about decay any longer? That might be a benefit. Just possibly.

Leatherdykeuk said...

There are worse things than being a ghost.