Thursday, June 17, 2010

Dead Rite chapter 9.06

"Then what happened?"

"I asked her out and she said 'No way you loser!'" Dill turned left toward the bus station.

"Her loss." Sam paused at the corner. "Where are you going? College is this way."

"Mine, actually." Dill lurched to a halt. "I've got a funny feeling. A bit like cramp and a bit like stomach ache." He pointed toward the station. "There's a public toilet down there. Do you mind?"

"No. Sure." Sam caught up. "Although you know what the bus station toilets are, don't you?"

"Free." Dillard grinned. "That's the deciding factor at the minute."

"Yeah, but it's where all the homos go." Sam dropped his voice. "You know, the gay blokes. To touch each other's willies."

"And you know this how?"

"I've seen it."

"When?"

"When I first moved here. Before I met you. I was on my way home from the pub and needed a Jimmy so I went in there. It was full of them."

"Full?"

"Well, almost. I've never been so shocked in my life. There were holes in the cubicle walls to push your trouser snake through. I was there for hours."

***

Sam washed his hands and, after ensuring there was no one else in the toilets, took off his sunglasses and stared at his reflection. His good eye had gone white. All the colour had drained from the iris leaving the pupil a black dot in a sea of white. He looked like something from a horror movie.

Actually, when you took into account that his other eye was missing altogether, it made the horror movie significantly more appropriate. The was no pain from the empty socket; just a collapsed hole where an eye used to be. At least the eyelids were still there.

He lurched as a wave of nausea washed over him. Overlaid on his reflection was an image of a tunnel It was quite dark but it was more information than he'd had for hours.

"Grrrrrr..." Dill's toilet grunting was loud at the best of times but seemed excessive when amplified by the brick walls of the bus station toilets.

Sam knocked on the stall door. "You all right mate?"

"No I am not all right." Dill's voice was strained. "It feels like I'm passing a ball."

"What sort of ball?"

"Well I don't mean a football."

Sam's vision was suddenly flooded with red. And brown. "My eyeball!" He went silent for a moment until the splash. "Ugh. That's one part of you I hoped never to see."

3 comments:

aims said...

Urghhhh - had trouble swallowing my last mouthful of coffee when I realised......

Leatherdykeuk said...

*laughs*
Sorry Aims :)

aims said...

I was halfway through my day when I suddenly realized what 'the tunnel' was! *laughing because I'm such a goof sometimes!*