Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dead Rite chapter 13.03

Harold clicked his fingers, waited a moment, then clicked them again. He looked at the floor under the table, across at the sink and in the cupboard where he kept the biscuits. "Where's Devious when you need him?"

"You sent him to fetch this Jasfoup character." Legion scowled. "I confess I'm becoming irritated by your lack of enthusiasm for the task ahead."

"All in good time." Harold gave her what he hoped was a disarming smile. "Besides, I need Jasfoup's input on this." He clicked his fingers again and an imp of lighter colour appeared at the back door. "Yes?" It addressed Harold while staring at Legion. "What miraculous task may I perform for you, free of charge under the terms of out lifelong contract?"

"Ask Felicia for another coffee please, Delirious? There's a good lad."

"Mountains will be moved in the effort to complete your task, oh Mighty One."

Harold glared at him. "Less of the lip, more of the action. Get it here pronto."

"You have the imp under contract?" Legion raised an eyebrow. "I wouldn't allow it to talk to me like that."

"It's complicated." Harold sighed, waving a hand dismissively. "I have an official contract with his brood-sire and he came along with the deal. 'There was something about 'valuable interaction with the mortal plane' involved. Whatever. I get service from him for which I don't have to pay a forfeit."

Delirious appeared by the back door again. "Coffee as requested."

"Can't you bring it here?"

"Not likely."

"How sweet." Legion smiled and touched Harold's arm, making him jump. "It's afraid of me."

2 comments:

stephanie said...

I would be afraid of her, too (though also just the slightest bit intrigued).

Leatherdykeuk said...

She scares the bejesus out of me!