Thursday, July 8, 2010

Dead Rite chapter 13.04

"I can't say I really blame him, madam, considering you've been torturing mortals for centuries."

"Mortals yes. Imps, not so much. They're not worth the trouble. Better to just crush them underfoot."

"You make my point for me." Harold crossed the room and picked up the coffee. Delirious looked at him with eyes wide in fear. "You may go," he said.

He placed the coffee in front of his mother and turned to the kettle. "Assuming we manage to find your lost children, how to we transport them back to you? I assure you I'll carry none inside me as I go about my daily business. I have a reputation to keep."

Ada sipped her coffee. "Aye. As a miser and a skinflint."

"I'll have you know I made a substantial contribution to the St. Jude's window restoration fund lat year."

"Tch!" Ada snorted. "Only because it was you who stole the original. If Reverend Pearson ever found out you'd be excommunicated."

"It was the right period for the manor. What does he care, anyway? He'll move on in a year or two."

"How delightfully wicked of you." Legion stood. "If you need something to transport my children in, I would suggest you use a living being for them to possess. The more intelligent the better, naturally. Watching the host spirit go insane is quite amusing."

"What about animals?"

Legion cocked her head to one side. "Possible. Just don't use pigs. We had enough of those when Iesua tricked us."

"Point taken. No wonder you're bitter."

"Bitter?" Legion walked to the door. "If you think this is bitter you've seen nothing yet, Mr. Waterman. Good day to you."

"Wait, I'll see you to the door."

"To make sure I leave?"

Harold ignored her. "How do I get in touch with you?"

Legion opened the front door. "Just tell the table."

2 comments:

stephanie said...

Were I Harold, I wouldn't let them use me either, but he brings up an excellent point about their transportation.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Indeed not. I don't know yet what he'll do.