Saturday, July 10, 2010

Dead Rite chapter 13.06

"Gee. And they wonder why I turned out like I did." Harold shook his head as he pulled the manuscript closer but paused, staring suspiciously at the sigil Legion had carved into the wood. "That thing makes me nervous."

"Well, cover it up then." Ada moved the teapot over the it which in some obscure way made Harold feel better. He smiled gratefully.

"Thanks mum."

"You're welcome." Ada returned to her coffee. "What will you do now? Will you take the job?"

Harold glanced at the teapot, imagining the mark underneath growing and shifting, glittering eyes staring out from beneath the trivet. He shuddered. "What choice do I have? Legion's not the sort of...person...one refuses."

"She only wants her children back, Harold. You can't blame her for that."

"Her children are four thousand year old demons, mum. Not like the missing teenagers you see on the backs of milk cartons. Furthermore, they're demons who want to remain missing. The sort of demon that likes screwing up people's lives and sending them insane or worse. We forget about those, don't we? I mean, you fell in love with the Prince of Darkness who turned out to be quite a reasonable chap if you don't gloat about Heaven being wonderful. Jasfoup's one of the kindest people I know as long as you remember he has limits and will send your soul to eternal torment if you give him the opportunity."

"Yes, but apart from that," Ada drained her coffee and stood to put it in the sink, "she seems very nice."

"If you ignore the implied threats, I suppose she is." Harold drained the can and lobbed it into the sink, causing a minor splash in the bowl of cold, greasy water. Ada skipped back a step to avoid it.

"You should wash up more often, Harold. It's a disgrace, leaving the dirty dishes like that."

"It's only a few cups, mum, but if it offends you feel free to wash up."

"I would, but I've errands to run in town." Ada sniffed. "What is that smell? It reminds me of builders."

"Tar? That'll be Jasfoup's Brimstone marmalade. He was peckish yesterday. What errands?"

"This and that." Ada buttoned her coat. "Let me know if you need anything."

"Like washing up liquid?" Harold grinned and stood, bending to kiss her on the cheek. "Bye mum. I'll see you out."

No comments: