Monday, April 18, 2011

Dead Rite chapter 55.08

“Well then. This man can open portals to the Dead Line, though I fail to understand how a mortal developed the ability.”

“Perhaps he’s not mortal. Perhaps he just works as a taxi driver to blend in with mortals.”

“Perhaps.” The elf inclined his head slightly. “I should like to meet this taxi driver.”

Dill nodded while privately thinking the elf probably wanted to eliminate the competition, though since the driver seemed to work for Jim Hunt it could have been him that opened the doorway into the other world in the first place. “And this doorway stays open? It doesn’t have to be renewed at all?”

“Not as far as I’m aware. The portal was always here and will always be here.”

“I see.” Dill examined the doorway but couldn’t see any runes or symbols, elvish or otherwise. “Would it still be here if the building around it wasn’t?”

“I don’t understand. The building?”

“Where we’re standing.”

“Oh. Where you’re standing. To me, I’m standing in a garden under the open sky of the Dead Sun. I don’t think that would change if your building were not there.”

“But what if the roof collapsed?”

“Just because you could not reach the portal does not mean it is not there.”

Dill had to think about that one was it like a Zen meditation? It sounded the sort of thing you got on one of those posters with a picture of a puzzled cat on them. “Very deep.” He backed away. “I’ll catch you later then, dude.”

2 comments:

stephanie said...

I shall enjoy watching him reconcile this one if he has the time!

Leatherdykeuk said...

That'll be some feat -- I have no idea what he's on about!