Thursday, May 26, 2011

Dead Rite chapter 61.02

Harold pulled off before he'd even got his seatbelt on. “Careful.” The demon tilted his head to see through the rear-view mirror, relieved the squad car was behind them and not looking directly into the van. “We don't want to give them a reason to pull us over and take us in the help them with their enquiries.”

“Good point.” Harold indicated at the end of The Terrace and pulled out into the traffic on Marsh Lane. “I've seen some of the stairs they have at the cop shop. I wouldn't like to fall down any of those.”

“You'd be fine, Harold.”

“Why? Don't they do that any more?”

“Of course they do. It's a cliché for a reason. No. I just meant you wouldn't have to worry about it. It'd only hurt for a minute and then you'd heal again.”

“That's encouraging.”

“Was it?” Jasfoup looked in the mirror again. “It wasn't meant to be.”

“I was being sarcastic.” Harold reached to the dashboard and switched on a pad computer mounted over the radio controls. “You don't have to keep looking in the wing mirror. You can use this.”

“A mounted magepad? Why? I don't want to play Mountains and Madness.”

“No. Give it a moment to start up. Delirious installed it for me.” The screen changed to a view of cars filmed from the back of the vehicle in front of them.

“That's...” Jasfoup frowned, checking the view in the mirror. That's a live camera feed from the back of the van. I can see the police three cars behind us.”

“Good, isn't it. He got the idea from a James Bond film and slaved a bluetooth camera on the rear bumper to the magepad. Clever little imp, he is. He said it would help when I reversed.” Harold laughed. “Not that I'm anything but brilliant at reversing. I've only hit him once and that was his own fault for standing in the way.”

“He was packing boxes in the van at the time, Harold.”

“Still.” He indicated again, turning into the service road at the back of the shop. On the screen, the police car turned in behind them. “Ha! There's nowhere for them to park down here.”

“They could squeeze into the space behind the shop with us.”

“Not if I park in the middle of it.”

No comments: