Sunday, June 12, 2011

Dead Rite chapter 62.12

The inspector's phone began to ring. “Wait a minute” WHe pulled out his phone and answered it. “DI White.” He looked across at Peters and mouthed “Chambers.” Peters nodded and returned to examining the brickwork, using his key to scrape away a little of the mortar. White paced up and down, listening to the pathologist on the other end.

“Accidental death? Is that it?” He took the phone from his ear and stared at it. “What have you put for the cause?”

He could hear Eric's breath hiss through his teeth. “I can't put anything for the cause. It's a complete mystery to me. Not a mark on her body, the brain's perfect, the heart's perfect and the liver's perfect. This woman was in the most perfect state of health there's ever been.”

“Apart from being dead.”

“Apart from that yes. Nothing on the tox screens, either. If I didn't know better I'd say she was taken up by the Rapture.”

“That's not something I can put on the report.”

“I'd like to hang on to the body for a few more days. I've sent off some samples in case I missed something.”

“Sure. Fine. Help yourself.” White put the phone back in his pocket.

“Problem sir?”

“Quite the opposite.” White looked up, visualising the scene. “Waterman's talking to this woman, his two year old kid hits her and she falls down dead. There's not a mark on her body and nothing to indicate how she died. Can I get a witness? No. Just Waterman, spinning me a tale.”

“But the evidence supports his story?”

“Yes, more's the pity.” He scowled. “There's something fishy going on here, Peters. I need to find out what.”

“Maybe it's the Kraken from upstairs, sir.” Peters grinned.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Poor White. He simply can't get Harold no matter how hard he tries.

Leatherdykeuk said...

It gives him focus!