Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Dead Rite chapter 67.04

“So I take it you can't tell if I'm possessed or not?”

“We could try an exorcism. We did that before, that time you were possessed by a necromancer.”

“That really hurt, though. I seem to recall you threatened to burn me to ashes if it didn't vacate the premises immediately.”

Jasfoup shrugged. “It was kill or cure.”

“Well I'd rather not leave it to chance, if you don't mind. For all you know, the next one will have no compunction to stay on.”

“I could resurrect you afterwards. It's not like you're going to die, is it? There's only one way to kill you before your allotted span and it isn't by fire.”

“That's easy enough for you to say. You're immune to burning. I, however, am not. I'd spend an unreasonably long time in considerable agony recovering from the damage.”

“I could take you to the Tower of Records.”

“That's become your go-to, hasn't it? 'Ooh, a mortal's been damaged, I'll take them to Hell where they can get their body healed and their mind screwed as completely as a melted chocolate bar.'”

Jasfoup scowled so hard Harold could see the ridges under his supposedly human skin. “What sort of chocolate bar?”

“I don't know. Does it matter?” Harold filled the kettle, the sound of the water drowning any effort at speech.

“It does a bit, actually, since you've used it as a metaphor. Is it a slab of milk chocolate, melted on the table and dripped to the floor or is it a honeycomb bar where the outer coating has cone but the inside bit had hardened to the consistency of nougat?”

“I don't know.” Harold stitched on the kettle and flung out his arms. “A Bounty bar, say.”

“There you go then.” The demon grinned the grin of an argument won. “The chocolate would have gone but the coconutty inside will still be there.”

“Just so sweet you can feel your teeth rot.”

No comments: