Friday, July 29, 2011

Dead Rite chapter 70.01

The shrieks of the imp were hard to bear and Harold elected to retreat to the scriptorium where John was cowering in a corner, chain-smoking his evil little cigarettes. He skittered beneath a table when he saw Harold, discarding even his gold lamé headscarf in an effort to be invisible.

“John?” Harold bent at the waist to see the imp. “What are you doing?”

“You're exchanging us, aren't you?” Ash fell from the tip of his cigarette onto a stack of Third Reich propaganda pamphlets issued by the Cameron government. “Us imps, I mean. That's two gone and I haven't seen Del for an hour.”

“Delirious?” Harold straightened to look around the room. “Where is he?”

“You tell me. You're the one disposing of us.”

“We haven't disposed of anyone.”

“I can hear the cleaning.” John shuddered. “That's a preperation for trade if ever I saw one.”

“The cleaning?” Harold nodded. “I see, Devious is withholding information and since pain won't loosen his tongue...”

“Ugh! And they call us devils!”

“If you can't beat them...” Harold perched on a stool to examine the book John had been copying. If it hadn't been for a third of the pages being blank he would have sworn he was looking at the real Book of Kells. “This really is marvellous work. I don't know what I'd do without you.”

“Thanks.” John emerged from his hiding place and gated to the desk. “I was quite pleased with the marginals.”

Harold picked up a magnifying glass to study the tiny drawings. “Fornicating bishops? Marvellous.”

“Sir?”

“Yes?”

“If you're not getting rid of us, where's Wrack?”

No comments: