Monday, August 8, 2011

Dead Rite chapter 71.04

“There's something going on and I think the army boys know what it is.” Chambers tapped the screen. “My bet is Corporal Beckett wasn't the first to suffer a sudden, unexplained death and he won't be the last. There's a cover-up here and I'd like to get to the bottom of it.”

“You think the Turling woman is connected?”

“I don't see how.” Chambers followed the clatter of instruments as his assistant finished sewing the corpse up. “Was there a connection between her and the army?”

“Not that I know of. She was the nanny to Waterman's kid and worked in his shop the rest of the time.”

“Waterman, yes. Not the first time we've been to the manor, is it?”

“No.” White shook his head slowly. “Trouble follows that man like flies follow shit. Corpses pile up around him but are never his fault. I've never been able to pin so much as a bloody nose on him.”

“There's such a thing as being too clean.”

“So I've heard.”

“And the victim's clothes were on back to front. Her underwear anyway. Not like a woman to make that kind of mistake.”

“No.”

“I've known a few, sir.” Peters grinned but sobered at the inspector's glare. “When I was uniform, I mean, sit. Saturday night shift always brought in underdressed women, and I don't mean victims.”

“Not respectable ones, I meant.”

“They're heading out of town.” Chambers held up the phone, the satellite map showing the Old Oxford Road leading to Salisbury.

“Probably to the army base on Salisbury Plain.” White shook his head. “That's a dead end, then. We'll never get permission to have a shufty around there.”

“That's odd.” Chambers tapped the screen.

“What?”

“They've stopped in the woods.”

“Whereabouts?” White tilted the screen toward himself. “Hobb's Wood?”

Peters grinned. “That's still in our jurisdiction, sir.”

No comments: