Friday, August 19, 2011

Dead Rite chapter 73.03

Harold turned. “Where's Jasfoup?”

“He gated out while you were obsessing about biscuits. Gone to the manor, probably, to play with the zombie. You know he doesn't like zombies, right?”

“He may have mentioned it. Once or twice.”

“Yes. He hates people hanging onto their own spirit after death at the best of times but hanging on to their body as well?” Devious shook his head, hissing. “So antisocial.”

“As opposed to what? Going into their houses and stealing their biscuits?” Harold picked up his phone and began dialling. “Haven't you got work to do?”

“I'm going. I'm going. I was just waiting to see you off. Polite, see?”

“Polite, yes.” The phone connected. Harold counted the rings as he waited for it to be picked up. “Mum?”

“Who is it?”

“It's me.”

“Who? I know several people who refer to themselves in the personal pronoun.”

“Harold, mum, your son. How many other people call you 'mum'?”

“We you never know, do you? Sometimes these marketing callers are very tricky.”

“You don't get marketing calls. They go to a special number father set up for you, remember? Marketing callers get routed through to their own customer services department in a never-ending loop of torment that saps the will of both callers and promote cross-departmental misery.”

“But still...it might have been somebody I know.”

“It is somebody you know, mum. It's me, Harold.”

“Oh. Hello Harold. I thought you'd gone to the shop.”

“I'm there now, mum. There's been a development. Where's Lucy?”

“In the garden, playing.” Harold could hear Ada's footsteps and a door opening. “That's odd. She's gone.”

“Shit. I'm on my way.” He closed the connection and picked up his keys.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

:) Love Ada, but I'm impressed with Harold's quickness here.

Leatherdykeuk said...

It makes a pleasant change!