Thursday, September 8, 2011

Dead Rite chapter 76.04

Harold felt Lucy's back and chest, watching her face for any sign of pain. When she displayed nothing but curiosity he put her back on the chair. “You're the sweetie. sweetie.”

Ada turned back to Lucy. “I think you've had enough sweeties for now, dear. Do you have any ouchies?”

“No ouchies.” Lucy reached for her drink, tilting the glass with it still resting on the table to slurp at the squash inside. She let go and squirmed out of the seat to the floor, then made a bee-line for the sitting room where Ada had a television. Moments later the sound of Foxglove's Garden filtered through to the kitchen.

Harold leaned on the back of the chair and gave a long sigh. “Should I take her to the hospital?”

His mother looked at him, looked at the hall doorway and picked up her coffee before she spoke. “I don't think there's any need. She's fine. You saw her for yourself.”

“I know, but that was so...odd. She almost died. She did die, just for a moment.”

“Then she got better.”

“Yes. What do I do, mum? I thought being a father would be easy but being the father of a child who's...whatever Lucy is? I don't know if I can handle it.”

Ada squeezed his arm. “All fathers feel like that. All parents, really. All you can really do is muddle on and do your best.”

“I suppose. Harold looked towards the sitting room. “What happens when she goes to school, though?”

“We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Just be thankful she still will.”

No comments: