Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Dead Rite chapter 80.01

White accelerated back towards the town. “I can smell that body still. I've a good mind to drop in at the house and have a quick shower and get a change of clothes.”

“I know what you mean. The stink of decomp, eh?”

“Decomp? That's my point. He was decomposing. I swear he got worse in just the short time we were with him. How can someone that badly decomposed be walking about a little before we got there?”

“You heard the coroner, sir. He'd been ramped up on PCP or whatever's the new drug of choice these days. It probably ruptured his spleen or something. That's rot his insides away and put him in such agony he'd be acting out of character. I mean, compared to that, being run over and breaking your leg is nothing.”

“And you know this how?”

“Telly, sir. The misses likes to watch House MD so what can I do but watch it with her?”

“You've got more than one telly in your house. In fact, if I recall correctly, you've got more tellies than people.”

“True, sir, but that's hardly an exhibition of togetherness, is it? I'd rather watch something with her than sit on my own in the kitchen.”

“You could go out to the pub.”

“While the misses stays at home with the telly? Sir, the seventies called and said it wants its clichés back. You'll be telling me next you keep a bottle of whisky in your desk drawer and listen to classical music in your spare time.”

“The nearest I get to whisky id Beryl's sister's home made elderberry wine.” White chuckled. “But I do like classical music.”

No comments: