Friday, November 4, 2011

Dead Rite chapter 85.09

“There you go, then.” Harold leaned forward and clapped him on the back. “I'm glad that's all sorted. Where did you put the gloves? Ah!” He opened the box and put a pair on. “We could really do with gowns, too. Nip down to the airing cupboard and pull out a couple of sheets, would you? Dark ones for preference.”

“Yes master.” Devious vanished again, returning with a pair of mauve duvet covers he couldn't ever remember seeing.

“Are these mum's?”

“No, master. I went to number thirty, just to be on the safe side. I didn't want your mun catching me nicking her best sheets.”

“Probably wise.” Harold used the scalpel to cut head and arm holes in one of the sheets. “Do you want one Jasfoup? You've already got your dustbin liners, haven't you, er...”

“Dill.” Dill stepped forward. “Is this going to hurt?”

Harold shrugged. “Only if I catch myself with the scalpel.” He looked at the zombie's face. “Oh, will it hurt her, you mean? I shouldn't think so. All her nerve endings have died, haven't they?”

“Only if she doesn't think about them.” Dill squatted in front of Amanda. “Don't think about any of the nerves in your stomach and internal organs, okay?”

“That's helpful.” Jasfoup looked like a member of the technicolour Ku Klux Klan in his mauve sheet. “That's like telling someone not to think of an elephant. You've all but guaranteed her to be in complete agony now.”

“Sorry. I didn't mean...” Dill looked from him to Harold to Amanda. “Sorry.”

She stared up at him with wide, sorrowful eyes. “I just want to die.”

“No can do. Sorry.” Harold stepped forward, the scalpel raised high like a television surgeon. “Out of the way, Dill. Chop chop.”

No comments: