Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Dead Rite chapter 88.05

Peters was off the chair and across the room so fast he could have been an Olympic runner. “Hoe the fuck did it know my name?”

“Language, sergeant.” White stepped forward and prodded it. “I'm sure there's a logical explanation. Probably something less interesting as why you have a girl's name.”

Peters coloured. “It's not a girl's name. It's pronounced 'Imagine'. My mum was really into John Lennon and called me after one of his songs since he died the day I was born. Trouble was, the registrar misheard and I got an incorrect spelling.”

“I didn't know that.”

“He was a singer, sir. Quite popular at the time, I believe. They still play him at Christmas.”

“I know who John Lennon was. I didn't realise you were as old as that.”

“Must be my youthful looks.”

“And your habit of eating rubbish.” White sat on the vacated chair and picked up the keyboard from the floor.

“If you say so sir.” When the computer had done nothing threatening, Peters approached it again. “You try it. See if it knows you.”

“All right.” White stabbed at the keyboard with one finger. H-E-L-L-O

“Hello, Cameron Henry White.”

White sat back. “I'll be blowed. It does know who I am. Fancy that.” He focused on the keyboard again. “W-H-O-A-R-E-Y-O-U-?”

“I am Orias.”

No comments: