Friday, December 9, 2011

Dead Rite chapter 88.08

White sat back and laced his fingers together.”So you're telling me that this machine can access any camera?”

“Yes. I wasn't kidding when I said it was Big Brother. And I don't mean the reality programme.”

“Yes, I got that.” He sat forward again and typed. “W-H-E-R-E-I-S-M-Y-W-I-F-E-R-I-G-H-T-N-O-W-?”

“Unknown.” Could a computer generated voice sound annoyed? It certainly seemed so. “Beryl Elizabeth White was last seen at Sangha's Supermart on Tuesday the eighth.”

“The day before yesterday.” Shadwell laughed. “I take it she doesn't have a laptop computer or a smartphone, Inspector.”

“No she doesn't. Does it make a difference?”

“Of course. This is still a rural area. There aren't cameras on every street corner and listening posts on radio masts. If she isn't using technology Orias can only find her when she comes into range of something else.”

The computer chirped again. “Beryl Elizabeth White has sent a text message.”

“Has she indeed?” White reached for his phone at the same moment it beeped to indicate a received message. “Well well well.”

He read the message and returned a short reply before turning to Peters. “Sergeant? Who's on our most wanted?”

“The official list, sir? Harry Mulder for the armed robbery of the Black Bank.”

“Right.” He turned to Orias again. “W-H-E-R-E-I-S-H-A-R-R-Y-M-U-L-D-E-R-?”

“On the northbound platform of Highgate tube station, Highgate, London.”

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

*claps* I did not foresee that. White is more clever than Orias. :)

Leatherdykeuk said...

He's certainly a lateral thinker!