Thursday, December 15, 2011

Dead Rite chapter 89.03

Harold gave her an acid smile. “Not going to happen. Let's shelve the discussion for now. Fancy going out for a bite?”

“Always.”

Dill looked from one of them to the other. “Is that what passes for humour between you two or did I just step into the set of seventies Carry On film?”

Harold raised a snooty nose. “Laughter keeps a marriage fresh.”

“If you think that's fresh I've got some dead fish you might be interested in.” Dill sniffed then, with a surprised expression, chewed. “Blood clots in the nose, now. Look, sorry to labour a point here, Guv, but where's this book you promised me?”

“Book?” Gillian looked from Dill to Harold. “You promised him a book. That's not like you.” She turned back to Dill. “Harold's not known for his altruism when it comes to parting with books.”

“I promised him a photocopy.” Harold looked to Jasfoup. “How do I get in touch with John?”

“Use the signal you prepared that refers specifically to him.”

Harord scratched his head, looking up to the rafters in case there was a clue posted up there. “And that would be...”

“Oh good grief. How do you usually call him?”

“I click my fingers and tell Devious I want to see John.”

Jasfoup shook his head with a sigh. “I've never met anyone like you, Harold.”

“Thank you.”

“That wasn't a compliment.”

No comments: