Saturday, December 17, 2011

Dead Rite chapter 89.05

“You're always on a break. Do you know if John's finished that job I asked him to do?”

“No. What job?”

“I asked him to do a copy of Roberts’ Treatise on Animated Figures.”

“That'll take weeks.” He stopped chewing for a moment. “I didn't see any books being aged when we put the coffin into storage.”

“I didn't ask for an authentic copy, just a photocopy.”

“We haven't got a photocopier.”

“There's one at the library, isn't there? He could have used that.”

“You didn't!”

“Didn't what?”

“Expose John to a library, Not in the vulnerable state he's in after Wrack disappeared.”

“I didn't know Wrack had disappeared.” Harold looked to Jasfoup. “What normally happens to imps when the human they're attached to dies?”

Jasfoup glanced at Devious, who was shaking his head with a worried look over his ridges. “Usually? They celebrate the breaking of a contract and the retrieval of a soul in their blood pool. Wrack was an odd case, though. He was...”

“...a nutjob.” Devious finished the sentence for him. “No-one's seen him.”

“I'm sure he'll turn up, sooner or later.” Harold looked from one to the other. “What was so wrong about sending John to the library then? I promised a copy of to this young man here for reasons I'm not too clear about.”

“There are books in a library. He'll start reading them.”

“So? There are books in the shop. It never seems to stop him working.”

“But you don't stock...” Devious looked around the room and lowered his voice. “Romances.”

1 comment: