Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 94.02

Felicia closed the boot of her car. “I've already apologised. What more do you want?”

“You almost ate my daughter.”

“Almost being the operative word. I didn't, that's the point. I lost my temper because my sister was dead.” She glanced at Harold and pointed. “He killed my sister, somehow.”

Harold raised a hand. “Actually...”

“Shut up, Harold.” Gillian's voice had turned, if anything, colder. Harold shut up. “Your sister died because of a misplaced spell of her own making. Harold did everything he could think of to save her. The problem is that he doesn't think very clearly under stress. Is he to be blamed for that? Is Lucy?”

“He should have taken her to a hospital.”

“Yes, he should have. And had he been rational that's what he'd have done. But this is Harold and instead of being rational you went ballistic.”

“Um...” Jasfoup stepped forward. “That's one of my pet hates, actually. I do not think that word means what you think it means.”

“Thank you, Inigo. I'll deal with this.”

Felicia took a step forward. “For God's sake, Gillian. I've said I'm sorry. You'd broken a bone and I was in pain. Can you imagine the state of mind I was in? My sister was lying dead on the floor and you'd broken my leg. Can you blame me for losing my grip on the wolf for just a moment? It never seems to bother you when you go all vampire on someone. You seem to be able to justify your actions any damn time you please. Yes, I get that you liked Julie too but she was my sister. She was the only blood kin I had left and she was taken from me because of stupidity and short-sightedness. Don't you remember family? How did you feel when yours died? How do you think they felt when you did?”

No comments: