Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 100.01

Harold ushered Dill through the front door, the photocopies in a plastic bag clutched in the zombie's hand. He shuffled awkwardly on the step, the 'Welcome' slogan under his feet patently untrue. “Well...goodnight then.”

“Goodnight, Harold. Don't forget to brush your teeth.” Ada looked up and down the street, then across at number seventeen.

Harold turned to see what she was looking at and was just in time to see the curtains were twitching. “Mrs Parkes?”

“Of course. Nosy cow.” She leaned forward. “Any chance you could leave me the book? I'd like to have another go at it. I promise to use a more suitable spirit next time.”

“I suppose.” He pressed the Treatise into her arms. “Just read the whole book before you start messing with it.”

“Hark at Mr Know-it-all. I'll have you know I was summoning demons before you were born, my lad.”

“Well, obviously, mum, else I wouldn't be here, would I?”

“Good point, but you know what I mean. Don't try to teach your grandmother to suck eggs.”

“I never understood that.” Harold leaned forward to give her a peck on the cheek. “I mean, blow eggs, maybe, but suck them? They'd be all slimy in your mouth.”

“Ah, bless.” Ada cupped his cheek but winked at Dill. “Such innocence.”

No comments: