Saturday, February 11, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 98.06

He snatched his hand back as the homunculus darted at him.

“He does look a bit different.” Ada held her glasses several inches from her face. “I don't remember giving him whiskers.”

“Not whiskers, mum. It's growing another four legs. Look, the two originals are halfway up the torso, now, which is becoming more bulbous by the minute. I'm also pretty sure you only gave it two eyes.”

“So I did.” Ada lowered her glasses to look at him. “He really is turning into a spider, isn't he? This is fascinating. Does this happen to all homunculi?”

“To be honest, I've no idea. I've never seen one made of a malleable material before, they're usually made of fired ceramic. Actually, I've only ever seen one before and that was imbued with the spirit of a friend of Gillian's.”

“What happened to that?”

“It learned how to pass for human and went off to seek its fortune.”

“That's what we were going to make for ourselves.” Dill spoke up. “Metal bodies with interchangeable pieces. I never thought of using something malleable as a base.”

“Malleability has its drawbacks. It's easily distorted.”

“Yes.” Dill picked up the homunculus and crushed it into a ball, heedless of the creatures attempts to bite him. “So it is.”

No comments: