Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 101.04

“But what's it doing here? Harold stared at the golem. Its surface gleamed in the headlights, spots of brightness reflected across several points where the torso had been deliberately modelled to resemble a human skeleton.

“It's looking for something.” Dill slid down in the seat. “Me. They've discovered I've left the facility and they've sent it after me.”

“Maybe it hasn't seen us.” Harold reached slowly for the gear lever. “How does it hunt?”

“How should I know? All I've seen is a warehouse full of these things but every one of them inert. You're the one with all the knowledge about harbouring spirits and subjugating them to the control of a golem.”

“But you described them as...I don't know. I think I was imagining Cylons from Battlestar Galactica. This is way ,ore scary.”

“I thought they were really coll until about a minute ago. Now I'd shit my pants if I had any.”

“Maybe it sees in infra red? Our bodies would be shielded by the heat of the engine.”

“Maybe it can hear us.” Dill nodded toward the golem. Its metal head swivelled to face them. “Maybe we should just get the hell out of here.”

“I think you may be right.” Harold slammed the van into reverse and accelerated backwards, hoping there was nothing coming up the road at that point. At the end of the lay-by he slammed on the brakes and twisted the wheel to the right. The van spun around, tyres shrieking on the tarmac.

Dill twisted to one side to look through the wing mirror. “Go go go. It's coming after us.”

No comments: