Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 101.20

Dill hesitated, his finger hovering over the delete button. “You know nothing is ever deleted in cyberspace, right? With the right software you can reconstruct anything.”

“So I've heard, but I really don't believe it. I can't afford to. Somewhere out there is an eight gigabyte hard drive with some pretty damning evidence about me on it. I'd like to believe its gone for good since I formatted it twice and re-installed the operating system but I still worry about it sometimes.”

“What damning evidence? I'm intrigued.”

“Never you mind. It's a secret I'll take with me to my grave.”

“You can trust me. I already have a grave.”

“No you haven't.”

“Not technically, no, but when word gets out that I'm dead I'll have one, even if it's just to hold an empty coffin.”

“I'll see what I can do. I think a death notice is rather up to whoever's investigating your appearance.”

“I suppose.”

“I mean, I can't sort you a grave out without a death certificate, and as far as I know you can't get a plot without one, either.”

“You can. My uncle had a plot ready for my aunt before she died.”

“But you can't bury someone without a licence.”

“My uncle did that, too.”

“Maybe I should talk to him then. I might get some insight into how to get you some rest. Where's your uncle now?”

“Doing twelve to life in Winston Green. I bet he'd love to have a visitor talk to, especially when you tell him you want to bury his favourite nephew without alerting the authorities.”

No comments: