Friday, March 23, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 101.21

“Ah. Good point.” Harold clicked his fingers.

Dill jumped as Devious opened a small gate in the air and dropped onto the flat bit of the dashboard. “Blimey! You'd have given me a heart attack if it hadn't already stopped.”

“Very droll.” The imp was dressed in little striped pyjamas and a night cap rather than the more usual shabby loincloth. “How can I be of assistance, master?”

Harold paused, looking the imp up and down. “Why are you dressed like that?”

“I'm playing Scudge the altruistic shopkeeper in the Pandemonium Easter Pantomime 'An Easter Eulogy'.” Devious rubbed one eye and yawned. “Please don't tell me you pulled me out of a dress rehearsal to ask me what I'm dressed as.”

“Actually no. There are some human remains in a bin on this level, somewhere over there.” Harold pointed in the general direction and Dill nodded agreement. “Dispose of them, would you? Also any bloodstains of fingerprints.”

“On concrete?” Devious raised an eye ridge. If it's all the same to you I'll nip back a few hours and put plastic down.”

“You know, I wondered why there was a convenient tarpaulin right where I was eating.” Dill shook his head as Devious vanished again

Harold grinned and manoeuvred the van up the rams to the car park exit, thankful there wasn't a ticket system in operation. He would have surely exceeded his grace period by now.

No comments: