Monday, March 26, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 102.02

“Me?” Dill took a step back from the ferocity of Gillian's gaze. “Why would it be following me?”

“You escaped from Magelight, didn't you? A zombie on the run from its creator? You're the first self-aware zombie in the world, I'm not surprised he wants you back.”

“When you put it like that...” Dill looked toward the hill to the east of the manor. “Did it come out of the tunnel or out of the woods?”

“We didn't see it arrive. The first we knew of it was it tearing off the door trying to get inside. It would have succeeded, too, but Jasfoup put up some sort of barrier that it didn't want to cross.”
Harold walked several steps to look around the two corners to the kitchen garden and Julie's poison garden. “Where's Jasfoup now?”

“He thought of the tunnel, too. He's working on collapsing it all the way back to the bone cathedral.”

“He can't! Not yet.” Harold clicked his fingers and Devious arrived, still in his pyjama outfit.

“You do know it's my night off?”

“Not any more it isn't. Tell Jasfoup not to block the tunnel yet. We have to get Dill back inside before he does that.”

“I'm not sure I want to any more.” Dill thrust the photocopies of the book at Harold. “Here. You do it.”

Harold pointed at his Magelight nametag. “But you've got the clearance. I wouldn't know where to go.”

“I'll go in if you come too.”

“I can't. I have to defend my family.”

No comments: