Thursday, April 5, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 103.03

“Molly.” Harold barely gave the maid a nod. “How's Lucy?”

“She's fine as fine can be, sir. She was a bit taken aback by the door bein' taken off, but she calmed right down.”

“Super.” Harold squatted in front of the sofa. “Lucy?”

“Cartoons.” She pointed at the television.

He glanced over to see a familiar coyote. “Yes. I used to watch this when I was your age.” He shuffled over to block the screen and get her attention. “No Daddy needs you, sweetie. Would you like to help Daddy do something?”

“Yes. Shall we play with my doll?” Lucy held out a doll, or most of one. She removed the head shortly after getting it because the anime-style eyes scared her.

“No, love. Not the doll, although you can bring it with you. We just have to go outside for a minute or to. Shall we see if we can see Mr. Moon?”

“You can't take 'er outside, sir. Not wi' that thing roamin' about.”

“She'll be fine, Molly, I promise. I'm her father. I wouldn't put her in danger, would I?”

“I suppose not, sir.”

“Well then.” Harold picked his child up and she clung to his heck, craning her head to watch every second of television she could cram in.

“What are you going to do?”

“The golem is powered by a human spirit...”

“And you're going to test if it's strong enough not to harm a child?”

“Not exactly.” Harold jogged her onto his hip. “I want her to exorcise it.”

No comments: