Saturday, April 21, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 105.02

Dill gave a yelp as Harold grabbed him around the chest, pinning his arms. “Dude! Chill.” He tried to shake himself free and Harold was enveloped by the woody smell of smoked zombie.

“Sorry. You startled me.” Harold released him. “You shouldn't creep up on people like that.”

“Creep up? I've been standing here for half an hour watching you sleep.”

“Really?” Harold fought to keep emotion from his face. “That's a bit...unusual.”

“There was nothing else for me to do. I offered to help replace the kitchen door but the imp said not to bother him. He's very strong for his size, isn't he?”

“Devious? Yes. Like ants, Jasfoup used to say. What were you doing?”

“When?”

“When I woke up? There was a pinging noise.”

“Right, sorry. I was peeling off my fingernails.”

“Eww.”

“No, look. There are new ones underneath. The imp gave me some finger food.”

“Are you ready, or are you having a little love-in with your new friend?” Gillian was dressed in what Harold liked to refer to as her battle gear; a leather harness containing six bags of blood connected by a tube she could suck on. “Shall I leave the two of you to get more intimately acquainted?”

“Don't be like that, Gillian. Jealousy doesn't suit you. We weren't doing anything.”

Gillian sniffed, an unusual practice for someone who didn't breathe. “The flakes of burned skin across your arms and chest would suggest otherwise.”

“I was just restraining him.”

“Yes.” Gillian turned. “We used to play those games, too.”

No comments: