Friday, April 27, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 106.05


Harold trailed his hand over a relief of the rapture comprised entirely of finger bones. “Do I even want to know?”

“Probably not. Let's just sat the bodies were mostly of servant girls and footmen and leave it at that.”

“And their bodies are in the walls of the manor?”

“In a very literal sense. He was a very superstitious man, your great, great grandfather. He did the Grand Tour before it was fashionable and became fascinated with the ancient customs of Rome. That's why the mausoleum is built like a Roman temple.”

“And the Romans used to brick people up, did they?”
“Oh yes. They believe the spirits tied the foundations together to make a wall that would never fall. You've seen an example of that recently.”

“Have I?”

“The tower of records? The lover levels are built from living spirits?”

“Nope. I haven't seen them. You took me there to fix Julie but there were no bounds spirits as far as I can recall.”

“Oh. It must have been someone else, then.” He frowned then held a finger up. “Devious. I was with Devious.”

“How could you get me confused with Devious?”

“Sorry. You know how it is with other species. They all look alike.”

“Thanks. I love you too.”

“If you children will stop bickering?” Gillian's icy tones cut through the conversation. “I'd like to get on.”

“Right, yes.” Harold took out his phone. “I just want to get a few pictures.”

No comments: