Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Dead Rite chapter 106.09


“Good to know. You've really cheered me up.” Dill's tone gave lie to the words and he fell silent for a few minutes stumping along by the light of Harold's torch ahead and the dim phosphorescence of the fungi on the walls.

Harold slowed his pace to allow Dill to catch up. “Don't take it too badly. I'm sure there must be a middle ground.”

“Are you? Only that sounds like just the thing you'd say if you were worried I'd go off in a huff and leave you to be buried alive here.”

“Oh.” Harold fell silent. His use of psychology wasn't as good as he thought it was. Did that mean Gillian always saw through his 'Lucy really needs her mummy' ploys too? “Obviously I'd rather you didn't do that. It would mean a lot to have the help of you and your friend in this, not least because you can get us into Magelight and show us where these golems are kept. If you want to head off alone I would understand. Being a monster isn't easy, even in a world of monsters and I'm sure you'll make other friends if you're fed up with us.” He gave a half-laugh. “I know Jasfoup isn't the easiest of people to get on with. He can be a bit blunt sometimes. He doesn't have that filter of only saying what's kind.”

“Funny.” Dill looked at him. The zombie's eyes glowed like a dog's in a headlight. “He said the same thing about you.”

No comments: